Monday, October 19, 2009

Leiter on Limbaugh on Swine Flu

Is it just me, or is a post like this disturbing? Brian Leiter in full:
I realize eugenics is politically and morally incorrect, but I can not say that I am upset that followers of Rush Limbaugh will not get the swine flu vaccine.
At least he acknowledges that it is, in fact, "morally incorrect," which is a pleasant way of saying immoral. I prefer immorality when it's fully self-conscious. Still, even though Leiter was probably making a really, really tasteless joke, I feel like pointing out that if Limbaugh's listeners don't get vaccines, and get swine flu, then others who, say, can't afford the vaccines or otherwise don't have access or knowledge of them, and who are exposed to Limbaugh's listeners might also get swine flu. I know that H1N1 isn't as deadly as was at first believed (I had it 2 weeks ago, and survived, and I have to say it was the worst bout of flu I've ever had, and I'm still weak as a result of it), but joking about anyone getting a highly communicable and potentially deadly disease because you disagree with their politics is just plain tasteless. It's Limbaughian, even.

0 comments:

Post a Comment