Sunday, October 25, 2009

Object-Oriented Philosophy

I have been trying to write a post about object-oriented philosophy (OOP) and speculative realism (SR), but have found it difficult to do so, in part because I keep coming off somewhat mean, and in part because I keep writing way, way too much for a blog post. I'm somewhat sympathetic to the aims of OOP and SR, if only because I'm very sympathetic to speculative philosophy, and I have a soft spot for new ideas (even if they aren't yet so radically new). Plus, I consider myself a realist, though of an somewhat different sort, I think I (I'm a direct realist). But I'm firmly wedded to my anthropocentrism, and I'm not totally averse to what speculative realists call "correlationalism" (see the link above for their definition of this term), so my sympathy only goes so far. Whatever my level of sympathy, I did really enjoy at least the first part* of Graham Harman's essay on Husserl and Lovecraft (scroll down to page 332), which I definitely recommend reading. Like I said, I dig speculative philosophy.

But what I find truly fascinating of OOP, regardless of what I think of it as a philosophy, is the role that the internet has played in its development. So before I say anything about OOP as a philosophy, I point you to this summary of that role. Definitely worth reading if you're interested in the possibilities that the blogosphere has to offer to serious scholarship.

*Towards the end, he starts criticizing Husserl for not being enough of a realist, which is where my interest started to wane. I recall Camus saying just the opposite: that Husserl was too much of a realist. Damned if he did, damned if he didn't, eh?

0 comments:

Post a Comment